Have you been struggling to maintain healthy behaviors during the pandemic? Looking to reset and establish a new positive habit as the fall term begins? Join UHS Wellness for
Have you been struggling to maintain healthy behaviors during the pandemic? Looking to reset and establish a new positive habit as the fall term begins? Join UHS Wellness for a 28-Day Healthy Habit Challenge Monday, September 14th-Sunday, October 4th.
Habit forming is the process where habits become engrained in our brains and require less thought to activate the behavior. Behavioral scientists suggest starting with small behaviors and using daily repetition to establish healthy habits.[i] A study on the topic of habit formation found that while there is a wide range of time it can take to establish a new habit, it can take at least a few weeks before a behavior becomes more automatic.[ii]
For the 28-day challenge, you may choose any habit or behavior that you would like to cultivate that relates to a dimension of well-being—including physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual, or professional. You will work on the habit on your own time, but sign up to set your goal, track progress, receive encouragement, and be entered to win raffle prizes. *You must be a student or trainee to win raffle prizes. Staff/faculty are not eligible.
Reasons to join the 28-Day Healthy Habit Challenge:
· To establish a behavior that benefits your health and well-being
· To receive encouragement and learn habit- forming tips
· The opportunity to interact with fellow students and trainees during this socially distant time
· Free food! Participants will be entered in raffles to win Grub Hub gift cards weekly (and support our local restaurants at the same time).
Examples of healthy habits you could choose (but feel free to pick any habit and frequency that would be beneficial to you):
· Take 10,000 daily steps
· Incorporate a one-minute (or more) daily meditation practice (using the Calm app or another source)
· Write in a gratitude journal three times per week
· Clear clutter in your workspace
· Start a daily journal noting your strengths (using silvercloud modules)
· Drink ½ your body weight in ounces of water every day
· Reach out to one friend or family member every day
· Eat one fruit or vegetable with every meal
· Try something new such as painting, cooking a new cuisine, or gardening
· Improve sleep hygiene by establishing a nighttime routine
· Plan your meals out for the week
Ready to join? Fill out the registration form here. After registering, you will receive an email with instructions for using the habitshare app and connecting with us on Microsoft Teams. We are looking forward to beginning this challenge with you.
[i] Pope, T. P. (2020, February 18). How to Build Healthy Habits. New York, NY, United States. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/18/well/mind/how-to-build-healthy-habits.html
[ii] Lally, P., H.M. van jaarsveld, C., Potts, H., Wardle, J. (2009). How are habits formed:
Modelling habit formation in the real world. European Journal of Social Psychology,
40(6), 998-1009. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejsp.674
September 14 (Monday) - October 8 (Thursday)
UHS WellnessPatti Anderson, PhD